Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Yellow Butterfly Scherenschnitte Card - Monochrome Cut-Away

 
 
 

Even though my hand control is not good at present due to carpal tunnel,
I just was not satisfied with this card until I'd done some
scherenschnitte-style work with the X-Acto blade.
I've dealt with RSI (repetitive strain) injuries in the past due to life BC (before children)
as a performing pianist,
but I sincerely hope this current nerve damage will subside after
baby H arrives.  My dominant hand feels perpetually burned.
You may have also noticed I haven't been coloring as many of my images
lately, and CT is the reason behind that as well.



The Lord really used RSI as a trial of faith for me before,
and I think this time it is a reminder that I truly am dependent
on Him for all the energy that I usually have and for all the ability and time given to me.
So it is up to me, as I realize that, to make sure that the time is spent well.
I can still serve within my own home,
and I can send something thoughtful to those I can't reach in person.
Before, when for months I couldn't even open a plastic bag on my own,
I slowly realized that there are so many ways to serve besides the active ones
(which, admittedly, I would prefer, being one who loves the satisfaction of hard work).
Now I am being reminded of these lessons again, and I will try to do the best I can
with it this time around as well.
Experiences like this also build empathy for others,
and an understanding of the emotional difficulty behind
RSI or other related injuries, so that I can try to help people who deal with them
on a deeper level, where it most hurts.
So often we tie our worth to our productivity,
and while that doesn't always come back to hurt us,
sometimes it does--ESPECIALLY when for some reason or another
your output just cannot keep up
with all your ideas and desires to make, do or serve. 
It is frustrating and also extremely humbling.



The challenges:
 
Simon Says Stamp & Show Monday: Summer Garden
Wouldn't I love to be more in my own?
But some things must wait...
Anyway, they say a YELLOW BUTTERFLY
brings sunshine.  So far all of those I've seen have been white,
so I'm waiting for the yellows still.
The white butterflies mostly just mean trouble for my kale crop,
more than the rain they're supposed to bring.
I also sacrificed an entire bed of parsley last year for the swallowtail caterpillars,
so if I don't see any swallowtails this year I will be most disappointed.


Materials Used on this Card:
Cardstock {Rustic white - Papertrey Ink}
Patterned papers {Lost and Found II - My Mind's Eye}
Stamps {Martha Stewart, Altenew, Fiskars}
Ink {Harvest Gold - Papertrey Ink; Archival Black - Ranger}
Hole punches {the Paper Studio}
Heavyweight hand-quilting cotton



Thank you so much for visiting!
 I hope you have enjoyed yourself,
and I wish you a wonderful day.

If you get a chance before you go, there is still time to
enter for my Spring Giveaway before next week!
Actually it's more of a destash.  Everything is all packed up and ready to ship ASAP.
Inlinkz is so quick and I've opened the giveaway to both US and
International crafters as well.
Picture and link are on my right-hand sidebar. :)
 
Take care,
Be well,
and enjoy the sunshine,
 
--Kathryn 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Hello..This is very CAS and looks perfect
    thanks for sharing with us at CRAFTY CATZ
    x Carol
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´m out of words! This is simply stunning! I love the colours and the cut away image looks beautiful! This is a big favorite of mine!

    Thank you for playing along with us at Crafty Catz this week! Good luck!
    Nick DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't stop looking at your card! The dimension is amazing. Thank you for joining us at Word Art Wednesday!

    Blessings,
    Misty D.
    WAW DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really an original, elegant and original. Thank you so much for posting you creative and very lovely art in the #234-#235 - Anything Goes Word Art Wednesday Challenge.
    Blessings, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous card. I love it.
    Thank you for entering my Monochrome challenge at CCM.
    Hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Not only did you create an incredible card, but you did it while struggling with a lot of pain! Sorry you're going through this, but rest assured that you can still rock a card! I adore the delicate cut-away technique you employed and how you've given it those subtle splatters and dots in the background. It is striking! I hope that your CT behaves itself and kudos to you for doing all that you do regardless! Loved seeing this and am so glad you shared it with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gorgeous card. I love the cut away areas as a way of adding dimension to you card and the twine is a grat embellishment. Thanks for joining our challenge at Crafty Cardmakers. Sally.x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is so beautiful and elegant. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers.

    Bec

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments -- they add an extra smile to my day. I hope yours is happy and bright as well, no matter where you are visiting from!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails