Monday, May 9, 2016

Japanese Woodblock All-Occasion Card - Vintage Stamping - Eclectic Collage

Asian woodblock prints--well, any woodblock prints, actually--
are one of my favorite art forms.  They are so expressive,
so incredibly detailed.
If you have ever carved your own stamp images or linoleum blocks
(and I have)
you will appreciate this fantastic art form all the more.

So I am ALWAYS excited when a chance rolls around to use
some of the most unique stamps of my collection:
some that I picked up while in Texas purely by chance when someone
must have donated a loved one's entire stamp collection to Goodwill,
because there were some fantastic old and very unique stamps in this huge bin
that I stumbled across. 
I could never have found them any other way.
The Japanese woodblock print stamps are, unsurprisingly, the gems of that find.


I had an absolute blast bringing them out again this afternoon.
My DH loves Japan, one of my best friends of 20+ years
speaks Japanese fluently (plus about 4 other languages at least)
and has traveled there many times, and my most
trusted and influential college music theory mentor is Japanese.

Yes, there are a lot of reasons why these stamps might stay out
on my table for awhile as I explore possibilities over and over with them.
So many good reasons, neh?...



Besides the theme, I really enjoyed working with this layout.
Here it is:

Paper Craft Crew #193: Sketch

I've turned the sketch 90 degrees clockwise.
The chop stamp stands in for the sentiment, and if the title of the stamp
can be trusted, it says "Luck".
Still, the nice thing about an oriental-themed card with no sentiment and just
a chop stamp like this is...you can use it for pretty much any occasion.
So versatile.



Here are a couple more challenges to play in: 
 

Materials Used on this Card:
Cardstock {Kraft, Rustic White - Papertrey Ink}
Patterned papers {K & Company, My Mind's Eye}
Vellum {The Paper Company}
Deckle edge tearing ruler {Westcott}
Burlap paper and Die-cut butterfly {DCWV}
Backgrounder and Main Image Stamps {Stamp Antonio}
"Luck" chop stamp {Penny Black}
Ink {Pure snow - Papertrey Ink; Archival Black - Ranger}
Distressing / aging ink for edge of image {Craftsmart}
Black Superfine Embossing Powder {Filigree}
Copper Embossing Powder {Recollections}
Die-cut glittered fan {Oriental Chic collection - Ruby Rock-it}
Copic markers and watercolor pencil
Cotton Twine


 
And one last of the whole card:
 
 
Thank you so much for visiting.
I hope you enjoyed this card and I hope you will
take a moment to enter for my Spring Giveaway via Inlinkz
before you go.  Find it on the righthand sidebar!
 
Be well and enjoy the sunshine,
--Kathryn
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Stunning! A really gorgeous card, I love the stamped image and all the wonderful embellishments. Thank you for joining us at Twofers
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since last visiting your kitchen table Ms Ritter. What a treat to do so now, I'm also a fan of Japanese art could not agree more with you about hand carved woodblock stamps. Your card is Magical thank you for joining us at Twofers hope we tempt you again in the future. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double WOW! All the beautiful details on this card make it absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathryn, Gorgeous card! I love all the details and how you turned the sketch which is perfect for your card. The colors are so rich. Thanks for playing along with the Paper Craft Crew. ~Pam, DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh stunning card. Love japanese designs and that cute fan. Thanks so much for joining us this week at the Paper Craft Crew. Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathryn, what a great idea to turn the sketch. It really works well for your card. Lovely use of colours and stamps. Thanks so much for joining our Paper Craft Crew Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful colors and design on this lovely Asian theme card - wonderful texture added with the burlap, cord bow and stitching! thank you for joining us in the A Vintage Journey Sew Simple challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous card! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments -- they add an extra smile to my day. I hope yours is happy and bright as well, no matter where you are visiting from!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails